Re: [modeller_usage] how satisfactory relative orientation of modeled domains can be achieved in two matches cases

On 01/25/2011 04:32 AM, Maria Persico wrote:
I am exploring ModBase to build a model for the REcQ2 of arabidopsis
Thaliana(swiss prot acc: Q9FT73).
ModBase found 2 structures matching this target and after downloading
the coordinates file and also the showfile.chimerax file, I was able
to visualize with chimera both structures with apparently a
satisfactory relative orientation. Below I copy-paste the target
coverage:

		2v1xA 	(63-592) 	crystal structure of human recq-like dna helicase
		1wudA 	(531-602) 	e. coli recq hrdc domain

I wanted to know if there is an optimization step in the ModBase
pipeline to achieve this and if it is referenced somewhere...

ModBase just uses Modeller to build its models - it is not doing anything special. In fact, those two models are built entirely independently - they are not aligned or oriented. So the orientation you're seeing is entirely arbitrary - it depends on how the two template structures are oriented.