Re: [modeller_usage] Solvation and randomization in ALLOSMOD glycan modeling

On 5/20/19 12:07 PM, Chakraborty, Srirupa via modeller_usage wrote:
I am trying to use allosmod package in MODELLER for ab initio modeling of glycans

allosmod isn't part of Modeller, but it does use Modeller as one of its dependencies. See the AllosMod docs at https://allosmod.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ for more details. You can also dig through all the source code at GitHub to see exactly what is going on:
https://github.com/salilab/allosmod-lib/

(1) In the glycan modeling methods section of the paper, it is mentioned that "initial structures were generated by addition of glycan chains with ideal geometries derived from CHARMM, followed by a 1angstrom randomization of the full atomic coordinates". I am assuming this randomization is the same as the randomize_xyz function of MODELLER. However, since templates are not being provided by the user for the glycans, how are the sugar ring puckerings and dihedral angles correctly reproduced even after such large random deviations?

AllosMod adds suitable restraints for each sugar residue using the CHARMM forcefield, as per https://salilab.org/modeller/FAQ.html#8. See top_all_glyco.lib and par_all_glyco.lib at
https://github.com/salilab/allosmod-lib/tree/master/data.

(2) My understanding is, in MODELLER, the solvation information is taken implicitly from the template provided. However, since the glycans are modeled template-free, is there any explicit treatment of solvation

No.

             https://salilab.org/modeller/