Re: [modeller_usage] How to properly set the fields 5 of the second line in the .aln file?

On 5/21/20 8:08 AM, ZHANG Cheng wrote:
I have a two-chain protein to model, Chain A and Chain B.

In the PDB file, the Chain B residues are numbered from 3-33, so only 31 residues appear in the PDB. When "1 :A:+33 :B" is used for the fields 3-6 in the second line of the .aln file, I got error: "Number of residues in the alignment and  pdb files are different".

The alignment file format is documented at
https://salilab.org/modeller/9.24/manual/node497.html

Field #5 is either the number of the last residue to read, or +N (where N is the total number of residues). So "+33" will tell Modeller to read 33 residues (unless it hits the end of the file first).

When it is changed to "1 :A:+31 :B", the same error occurred.

Nobody will be able to tell you why this is happening without being able to see your alignment file and PDB.

So, it seems that, when Field 5 = n, it assumes that the last chain has in total n residues, not the last residue is numberred as n.

This is not correct.

So how should I set the Field 5 number? Do I have to renumber the Chain B residues in the PDB from 1 to 31?

No.

             https://salilab.org/modeller/