Re: [modeller_usage] problem in anaconda

On 8/31/20 1:02 PM, Eugene Radchenko wrote:
It is probably unrelated, but I also had problems with running Modeller from Anaconda on Windows. Apparently the complicated Modeller directory structure used in the standalone Windows version is not relevant under Anaconda.
   File "C:\Users\genie\.conda\envs\modeller\lib\os.py", line 1109, in add_dll_directory
       cookie = nt._add_dll_directory(path)
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 3] The system cannot find the path specified:

I'm guessing you are using Python 3.8? You're absolutely right - the standalone installer includes some logic to make it work with multiple Python versions, which isn't necessary with Anaconda since the Anaconda environment handles that already. It's a harmless addition for Python up to 3.7 as it just adds a (non-existent) directory to the search path, but Python 3.8 changed the way the path was handled, and (as you saw) reports an error if a path element doesn't exist.

The simple fix here is to edit Modeller's top-level __init__.py (on your system in C:/Users/genie/.conda/envs/modeller/Library/modeller/modlib/modeller) and remove this logic, lines 30 through 94 (or just the call to add_dll_directory() on lines 72 & 73).

I'll roll this fix into the 9.25 release, due out next week.

             https://salilab.org/modeller/